Wednesday, April 27, 2011

You only think you know

We got engaged on a trip.  I kinda expected it.  A lot of my friends expected it, and somehow it still came as a total surprise.  I should have guessed when he spent the whole day evaluating the sunset view of each cliff and bar we hiked by on Santorini.  I should have guessed the day before when after we took an afternoon nap, he tried to rouse me with a sweet "It's sunset baby - you wanna get a drink and maybe some dinner?" I answered with drool and a slur of vowels.  I should have guessed when, as we got ready to go find a place to eat dinner, drink wine and watch the sunset, he kept checking his hair in the mirror and fussing with it.  My love never never does his hair.  He combs it back wet and lets it dry into a soft slightly curly blond fluff a top his head.  I should have known when the man who could talk about nothing but watching the sunset for three days straight let me leave our hotel room and go to the balcony and watch the sunset a full ten minutes before he did, even though he had been dressed and shod for 20 minutes.

I should've known.

But, I didn't and so I got a lovely surprise. I cried.  I loved the antique ring (which he did not present until after I said "yes." Pure class.  The man is the prize after all, the ring is merely the token of sincerity which seals the deal.) I didn't know, and so I got to be amazed.

Ladies, while you may think you want to know exactly how and when this is going to go down, you don't.  Leave a little bit to surprise you'll enjoy it and have a much better story to tell your grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment